Jackson Heights Locals Hold Vigil For Boy Killed By Dump Truck
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
A vigil was held Sunday night at the site of an accident in Jackson Heights, Queens that killed an 11-year-old boy last week.
Miguel Torres was killed on Friday when he was run over by the rear wheels of a dump truck as it was making a turn at a Jackson Heights intersection.
The driver, apparently unaware that he had hit the young boy, continued driving but was later located by police.
The incident has left many in the community frustrated and concerned.
"The truck driver haven't even called to say 'I'm sorry' or anything like that. And that is just very terrible," said Lazaro Zubizarreta, the victim's uncle.
"We need to look at calming traffic measures for all of Jackson Heights," said Queens Councilman Daniel Dromm. "This has become a problem, especially along northern boulevard. Whereas in the past, Queens Boulevard was called the 'boulevard of death,' Northern boulevard is quickly becoming a new boulevard of death."
Authorities say that the driver has been issued a traffic summons.
Sources say he will not face criminal charges.