A federal appeals court ordered a new sentencing Thursday for a man sent to prison 15 years ago for hijacking a plane from New York to Cuba in 1968.
Authorities say 69-year-old Luis Armando Pena-Soltren hijacked the plane to Cuba after it took off from Kennedy Airport.
The plane was supposed to go to Puerto Rico.
Pena-Soltren returned to the U.S. from Cuba in 2009 to face air piracy charges.
He pleaded guilty and was sentenced last year to 15 years in prison without parole.
But the appeals court says the lower-court judge wrongly concluded he would not be eligible for parole.
Two other people were convicted in connection with the incident.
Pena-Soltren's lawyer says his client joined the hijacking so he could visit his father, who was in a Cuban hospital.